Why use Web-based Pediatric Physiotherapy?
- It enables us to perform a comprehensive evaluation of your baby, from a distance, which may include their active movement and their gross motor skills.
- There are no physical waiting rooms to deal with; you and your baby are in familiar surroundings.
- There is no travel time, no need to prepare your baby to go out and you can continue to do your work/housework/watch TV while you are waiting for your appointment time.
- Your spouse could potentially participate in any aspect of the treatment, even if they are at work. They could participate in the treatment part of the session (under 30 minutes) or in the entire 60 minute session rather than taking half a day off of work.
- We will provide you with detailed information and educate you regarding your baby’s specific situation and how to manage it.
- We will teach you exercises, specifically tailored to your baby’s needs, that can be easily performed at home.
- Your baby's development is our main priority. We want to prevent further flattening of the head while ensuring that your baby progresses through their developmental stages.
WHAT DOES A WEB PEDIATRIC PHYSIOTHERAPY EVALUATION INCLUDE?
The physiotherapy evaluation will typically go as follows:
- A thorough history will be taken to collect information regarding the pregnancy, your baby’s birth, health conditions, sleep habits, developmental abilities, and information about how your baby currently is able to move. An assessment of your baby’s range of motion will normally be the next step. Your physiotherapist will go over which movements they want you to perform with your baby and will show them to you on camera using a doll or stuffed animal and help you to perform the same movements.
- Next, an assessment of how your baby moves in different positions will be conducted. We will ask you to place your baby on their belly, on their back, sitting (with or without support), and standing (with support). This will allow us to see their physical capabilities and help us to determine the exercises that are likely to be the most effective for them, with you the parent taking a vital hands-on role.
- The treatment process will begin in the first session. We will focus on educating you about the aspects that are the most important to see positive progression in the shape of your baby’s head as well as development of their gross motor skills. Emphasis is normally placed on head and neck positioning throughout the day, exercises (playing with your baby in specific ways) and specific stretches
WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR PEDIATRIC WEB PHYSIO?
- You will need access to a device that allows you to be seen through a camera (ex: laptop, tablet, cellphone, webcam), but if you have access to a cellphone or a webcam it is best as they allow the camera to be moved so that we are able to view your baby from different angles for proper and accurate assessment. As well, a microphone is usually integrated in these same devices. A wired connection to the internet is preferred when possible, or at least a location close to your wifi router.
- You will need space around you to move so we can see your baby moving in different positions:sitting on a firm surface (floor), lying on their back, lying on their belly
- You will need to plug in your device because video sessions do drain batteries.
- We highly recommend that you have a 2nd adult with you during the meeting as it will allow one person to use the camera while the other person stimulates and interacts with your baby to get him or her to perform the movements that we need to see. It will also allow the other person to take care of your baby during the educational component if he or she is unhappy.
- We highly recommend that you feed your baby within the half-hour before the meeting as it increases the chances of us having a productive session. Ideally, we should time the meeting as well for after their nap time, but it can work well sometimes (depending on the baby) if we wake them up at the beginning of the interview and that will give them a few minutes to wake up before we start interacting with them.
WHAT ARE THE LIMITATIONS OF A WEB CONSULT?
We cannot perform a physical exam of your baby so passive range of motion is difficult to assess over the web. We may miss some non verbal cues one can display during a session. There is always the possibility of encountering some technical difficulties during the session that could affect the quality of the session, especially the first time.
How do I Make an Appointment?
- Take an appointment by calling at (514) 767-6858 or click on the button below.
- Our receptionist will email you the necessary documents to fill and we will test your connection.
- Reconnect a few minutes before your appointment.
Take control of your health and start feeling better TODAY!